KulPop

This is a music appreciation blog featuring a variety of Kul Pop music. Any MP3s and images on this site are for sampling and introductory purposes only. If you like what you hear please support the artist buy buying their music. If you represent an artist featured on this site and would like a file removed, email me. Or if you have any tracks or cds you want to get to me for possible addition to my blog please email me.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

DUFFY - ORPHEUM THEATRE VANCOUVER CONCERT REVIEW & NEW MP3:















(stock photo)

I missed Duffy the last time the young Welsh singer played in Vancouver and got a free last minute pair of tickets for her show tonight at the Orpheum Theatre. Duffy started the show with the song 'Syrup & Honey' , just her and one of her guitarists and her 'eh eh eh eh' style (I don't know what else to call it when she holds those notes) was so grating I thought the night would be a mess. Luckily she was joined by the rest of her very competent six-piece band that upped the cool quotient of the night and helped mask her singing style, especially on the faster songs that she performed. Duffy wore a super tight red dress for the entire concert really playing up the sex kitten persona with very limited 60's MOD style dance moves and the overdone spinning her microphone around on it's cord to get a crowd response. Luckily she did hit the mark on songs like 'Rockferry', 'Stepping Stone', 'Tomorrow' and 'Mercy'. One of the highlights of the evening was the performance of a new song (just went to radio in the U.K.) called 'Rain On Your Parade' (you can download the song here for one week). The song will probably be a huge hit across the pond and could do well on North American radio also if released. She finally got the crowd up on their feet by inviting us to get up and dance our 'Canadian asses' to the song 'Tomorrow' and the crowd remained standing for the rest of the show.


Duffy proved she can hit the right notes at times, but for my money Adele is a much better singer and has way more personality. I saw her live at the Red Room back in May (my review) and she really impressed me with her style, talent and sense of humour. I recommend you try and watch Saturday Night Live this Saturday as Adele is scheduled as musical guest. I hope you'll be impressed enough to go out and buy her cd '19' after you see her perform (that's if you haven't already got a copy in your collection).


Setlist:
Syrup & Honey
Rockferry
Hanging On Too Long
Serious
Breaking My Own Heart
Rain On Your Parade
Warwick Avenue
Delayed Devotion
Stepping Stone
Tomorrow
Mercy

Encores:
Scared
Distant Dreamer
.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home